Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, April 12, 2010

Aspiring Author Lynn Andrade


Today we have an aspiring author visiting. Please welcome Lynn Andrade.

1. How can we find you? Website, Facebook, Twitter, blog, etc. - please share your public links.


I'm in the process of establishing a web presence. I ramble pretty regularly on my blog, "Manuscription," which can be found at: http://lynnandrade.blogspot.com. I've also been known to chirp on twitter: twitter.com/lynnandrade.

2. Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?

There's not really a single genre I prefer. It depends on the story I end up telling, really. I have a draft on the back burner that my writing group tells me is a romance, I'm writing a lot of Spec Fic, lately. It gives me wiggle room and keeps my restless nature in check. I don't think that I have a favorite piece. I think that could change when I make the transition from aspiring author to published author. Maybe that the first publication would always hold a special place in my esteem. I'm currently working on an urban fantasy/horror vampire novel. I guess that's the closest description. The trend of warm and fuzzy treatment of monsters of old kind of bugs me. I miss the old style myth and folklore stories. I miss the scary.

3. What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?

Most of my relaxation time is spent with my family. We're all finally in the same area, so we usually do a lot of cook outs and such. I'm also a huge game nerd. Computer, console, pen and paper, you name it, I'll play it. My taste in movies tends to confuse people. Two of my favorite movies are Howell's Moving Castle and the 2002 version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm addicted to the Discovery and History channels; almost all the t.v. I watch are documentaries. I claim research and inspiration, When my hands cooperate, I love to draw, sew, and quilt.

4. What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to a music, and do you want to share your playlist?


I watch people and take notes. That's not nearly as creepy as it sounds, I promise. The weirdest things spark my imagination. A conversation about a keepsake box, the viewer comments on the news, an all-day marathon about medieval times, anything. I have about a 50/50 music to absolute silence preference. When I do have music on, the playlist ranges from Japanese heavy metal to country music. I have a problem, I know.

5. "All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?

Hmm, this is something I will have to investigate. Cats are pretty good at channeling other-worldly phenomenon, though. I have a pack of spoiled-rotten canines at the moment, Although, two of them, Bailey and Hoover, are beagles, and the nature of the breed almost reminds me of cats I've had in the past: stubborn, ornery, and just a little bit evil. My blue heeler/shepard mix, Barni, is a neurotic ball of energy, while my german shorthair, Sammi, thinks she's a teacup chihuahua.

6. What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?

Finding a good writer's group/guild/association is probably the best stepping stone for any aspiring author. Ideally there will be a wide-range of background and knowledge that the members can utilize. It's also a good way to keep motivated and on task. I think that it's important to take the idea of a writing career very seriously. Because if you act like it's only a maybe someday daydream, that's all it's ever going to be, to you, and to the people around you.

7. What writers inspired you to become an author?


Serman Alexie and Octavia E. Butler. As a younger kid, I always was a story-teller, but seeing another Native American make it as an author made me realize that it wasn't out of reach for me. The same with Octavia E. Butler. Seeing a female author, in a predominantly male dominated genre, produce such amazing and fantastic work, just inspired that part of me that loves to push boundaries of convention and tradition.

8. Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?


Just the usual weekly vexing of the long-suffering baristas at my local coffee shop. :)

Lynn Andrade is an aspiring author that suffers from an incurable case of multi-genre-itis, with pieces ranging from literary fiction to horror. She started writing at a young age, but only recently began the push for a career. She lives with her family (and too many dogs) just off center in Washington state.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck. It sure sounds like you're on the right path. Agree with people watching; you find some good stuff there, even if it's only the look of a face.

    Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just don't get arrested for stalking. I love to watch people but I've learned to move on when they start getting nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep plugging, Lynn. Rejection-love is a rite of passage, remember. :D Wear it proudly.

    Back to monster / monsters? That's fab. I hate the warm-fuzzy stuff sometimes. It totally ruined Darth Vader. Siiiigh.

    Much success to you, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! For having me and for comments/encouragement. :D

    Otterdance- I'm glad I'm not the only one that enjoys people-watching. :)

    Jaleta- duly noted. I can always claim the lazy eye it. hehe.

    M. Pax- yes! Put the monsters back in the dark, make them scary again. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.