Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, December 27, 2010

Book Reviews - 4 fun titles to try

I'm catching up on my reading, maybe. I just received a whole pile of new books. I set the goal of reviewing every book I finished this year, though, so here are the latest ones. Just for the legal whatever thingie, I don't make any money off these reviews. I get an occasional free copy of a book, but that's as far as it goes.

Secret Sisters by Tristi Pinkston

Ever wonder what the Relief Society presidency in a small town gets up to? This book explains it. Sort of. It's a fun, light-hearted mystery with no gore, swearing, or bloody corpses. Ida Mae is only trying to help a family in need. Let the hijinks ensue. Each new twist leads to even more outrageous behavior. I enjoyed the book. It's a sweet read with some very silly moments and engaging characters. If you're looking for a fun escape and don't mind the LDS references (no preaching in this book), Secret Sisters is a great choice.











Bride of Tranquility by Tracy S. Morris

Jake Coletrane, sheriff of the small town of Tranquility, just wants his wedding at the newly refurbished hotel to come off without a hitch. But with a UFO believers' convention the same weekend and all sorts of haunted encounters at the hotel, it doesn't seem like that is going to happen. One murder leads to another, and all of them are blamed on ghosts.

This book is like a mashup of Psych, Eureka, Ghost Whisperer, and Inspector Closeau. Wacky, weird, and very entertaining. Another great escape.














Dimensional Shift by Frances Pauli

I never knew hotel housekeeping could be so entertaining and dangerous. Chloe is happy to work at a tiny motel in a backwater resort town, even though it means tight budgeting and no work during the winter. She's ditched her life as a corporate stooge in the big city in exchange for peace, quiet, and the scent of pines. But her wacky neighbor, who believes in UFOs and alien abductions, may be more correct than anyone suspects. A stranger in a very nice designer suit offers Chloe a job at a hotel she can't resist, an interdimensional travel stop between worlds.

That's not the end of it, though. Chloe gets caught in the middle of a power bid bigger than anything she ever suspected. But who's telling the truth? And which side is right?

Dimensional Shift is another great book with plenty of quirky characters and interesting ideas. I'm seeing a trend here in my reading.





Child of Balance by Alice Gaines

Alice usually writes erotic romance, a genre I don't read, so when I won a book from her in a blog contest (those giveaways are addictive, go check out writer's blog and win some great books! I'll have to host a giveaway sometime on here, any suggestions?), she kindly offered to send me a copy of her fantasy book that was recently released. Child of Balance reads like a romance that doesn't know it's a romance. The story drew me in, capturing me in the strange world that was feudal/industrial Britain but wasn't. Arine works well as a sympathetic and strong heroine who just wants freedom and peace. The magic is mysterious, the setting intriguing, the characters are engaging. It's another great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.