Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Musings

Not much is happening on the writing front. I'm too busy doing homework and keeping my house in one piece and remembering my kids' names. School is intense. I'm loving it, though. It's very different going back to school when you're older, and graduate school is a different environment and experience on top of that. This semester I've got a freshman geology class (Geology of the Planets, woot!), an upper division physics class (Operating the planetarium and telescopes 101, so much fun!), a print design class (with an educational emphasis), introduction to research, and simulations in education. The differences between the classes is extreme, at least in how specific the syllabus is and the kinds of homework and tests that are given.

Two of the classes require programming. I've done enough to know that I really don't enjoy programming. But I'm hoping it won't be too overwhelming. It's all object-oriented languages and both classes are group work. Last week, I got my hands on the lighting controls for the planetarium. We immediately decided to start programming in a rainbow fly-through for the show we need to put together. We're doing a pre-school basic show - What's in the Sky? Flying them through a rainbow feels like a fun idea. And the programming wasn't too hard. My partner in that class is a computer science major. That really helps.

My point of this post is that you're never too old to learn new things. Whether in a formal situation, like graduate school, or on your own, education has never been so accessible for everyone. The explosion in online courses and information is incredible.

I spent an hour researching why my chickens are losing their feathers. Turns out they're just molting and it's normal. Thank you, google search.

Have you learned something fun lately? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.