Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday Recipe - Magic Custard Pie

We got chickens last fall. They're interesting creatures. My son calls them mini-velociraptors. I've learned a lot about them. For instance, they lay fewer eggs during the winter. A lot fewer. We were only getting 1 - 3 eggs a day from the seven birds. But as soon as the weather got warmer, BAM! We're getting 5 - 7 eggs a day now.

So, I'm looking in the fridge the other day and realize I've got almost four dozen eggs and a gallon of milk past its expiration date. (cue the They Might Be Giants song) I put out a call for suggestions on Facebook and got some great responses. Some worked great, some weren't so great. This recipe was a good one. I need to do some more tweaks on it, though.

Magic Crust Custard Pie

1/4 c. butter
4 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
2 c. milk
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. flour

Put everything in the blender. Blend on low until mixed. Pour into a greased pie pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Let cool before devouring.

Variations:
Add 1/2 t. rum flavoring and 1 t. nutmeg for an eggnog flavor
Use brown sugar for more of a caramel flavor
Add 1/2 t. coconut extract and stir in 1/2 c. flaked coconut
Add in spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger to taste

I need to mess with the recipe to come up with a chocolate version. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.