Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Fried Okra and Green Tomatoes

I'm feeling southern today. No idea why. I've only been to Florida twice in my life. Other than that, I've really never been to the South. But I love their cooking, their architecture, their whole idea of hospitality. Maybe it's genetic. My great-grandmother came from the South, after all.

Anyway, we have tomatoes and okra in our garden this year. My kids will only eat okra if it's pickled, their first choice, or if it's fried. We've bought the frozen fried okra before. It's not that great. So when we picked our first batch of okra, it wasn't enough to pickle. Five little pods aren't very many. But it was enough to try frying up a batch to see how they liked it. I was surprised how fast it disappeared. I think I'm going to have to find a local farmer who grows okra. Or else plant a whole lot more next summer.

Fried green tomatoes use the same method and stuff, so I'm including that recipe. If you've never had fried green tomatoes, it's worth trying. We don't do it often, but every once in a while, it hit the taste buds just right. Green tomatoes are firm and taste a little like lemons.

Fried Okra and Green Tomatoes

Fresh okra, washed and sliced into 1 inch chunks
Green tomatoes, washed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 eggs
1 T. water
2 t. seasoned salt
1 c. cornmeal
oil for frying

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat.

In a large flat bowl, beat the eggs, water, and salt together until foamy. Pour the cornmeal into another bowl. I like to use pie pans for these steps. Dip the okra a few pieces at a time into the egg mixture. Dredge in the cornmeal, just until coated.

Fry in the frying pan for 5-8 minutes, until lightly browned. Make sure you use tongs to turn them over every couple of minutes for even browning.

For green tomatoes, dip each slice in the egg making sure to cover both sides. Dip both sides into the cornmeal to coat. Fry in the frying pan for about 2 minutes per side, just until browned.

Serve hot. We found homemade tartar sauce made the best dipping sauce, but that's our taste. We also love pineapple hot sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.