Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, January 12, 2017

Thursday Recipe - Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

I had leftover roast the other day, mostly because I'm still cooking for a horde but we have diminished to only half a horde in the house. Plus I found beef roasts on sale for a great price and bought a five-pounder. That was a lot of meat. It was very tasty as a roast, and then again as these sandwiches. I didn't season the roast with a lot of extras when I roasted it, so it worked well for this recipe.

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches

1-2 lbs leftover beef roast
1 small yellow onion
1 small red onion
2 T. butter
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
Cream cheese
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Horseradish spread
Mustard
Pickles
Rolls, whatever kind you want (I used a dark brown wheat one and it was very tasty!)

Slice the beef very thinly. This doesn't work unless the roast is nice and cold. Make sure you are slicing across the grain. If you look closely at the meat, you can see long fibers. Slice across those, not along those. I found it easiest to cut the roast into smaller chunks first, then find the grain and slice it really thinly perpendicular to the fibers.

The roast needs to be warmed up. I used my trusty crockpot, but you could also do this in the oven. Put the slices in your vessel of choice and add 1/3 c. leftover pan drippings or hot water. Cover and cook 1-2 hours on low in the crockpot or 15-20 minutes in a 350° oven.

Meanwhile, slice the onions into thin slivers. Sauté in the butter over medium heat until very soft and tender. (I used my crockpot for this, too. I got a really nice three crockpot unit for Christmas that works wonders for us. They are on the small side but that's a good thing these days. I put the meat in one, the onions and butter in another, and a side dish in the third. Turned them all to low for 2 hours, and dinner was pretty much done.)

Wash the peppers, remove the seeds, and slice them into thin slices. I like the peppers raw and crunchy, but if you like them cooked, go ahead and sauté them with the onions.

To assemble a sandwich, slice the roll in half, then spread with cream cheese and sprinkle a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese on top. Add horseradish, mustard, pickles, etc, if you want. Then layer on the hot sliced meat, onions, and peppers. Let it sit for a just a minute so the meat can melt the cheese, then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.